For the year 2018, I’ve made it a point to downsize my luggage whenever I travel. The degree of complexity varies from local flights to international, plus it’s also dependent on the weather. I honestly find it much harder to pack for autumn or winter season especially because of the need for thick layers but I take painstaking effort in packing light (luggage fees are a bitch).
For domestic flights or flights around Asia where the weather is slightly similar to ours, it’s definitely much easier–like my trip to Singapore over the weekend! I probably had less than 7 kg of luggage and didn’t even bother bringing my trusty Rimowa overnighter anymore–just one huge Tumi shared with the boyfriend, and my small Gucci Dionysus sling bucket bag & my Lipault carry-on for additional space just in case we go ham on shopping (spoiler alert: we did use it).
Since I had to streamline my essentials, these are the items I had on my sling bag:
- Passport with Passport Holder – Obviously, bringing your passport to international flights is a must, but what I think is also as important is keeping it in a passport holder to protect your passport. I’ve learned my lesson two years ago while traveling to Japan where I folded the visa page and the immigration people were debating as to whether it’s still valid.
- Wallet – Self-explanatory; I actually make sure my wallet has segmentation so I can separate my Philippine bills from my foreign currency.
- Sunnies – I always bring with me an oversized pair inside the airplane so I can sleep in peace. This sunglass style goes ombre though (not very noticeable in the photo) so I don’t really feel like I’m as blind as a bat.
- Moisturizer – I brought the Water Treatment Skin Cream which doubles as a face moisturiser and a hand lotion. It has a lighter formulation that keeps your skin instantly hydrated! I think this isn’t exactly 100ml that’s why I went inside both Philippine and Singapore airports without a glitch.
- Hair Serum – My hair is always all over the place especially while traveling so it was nice to have a handy but powerful bottle of Kerastase Extensioniste Serum with me that I could dispense on my palm and then run through my hair so I smell nice while taming my mane. Trust me, I’ve already had several run-ins while boarding for bringing anti-frizz and dry shampoos on board.
- Perfume – In the same vein, I bring perfume with me always. I love Clean’s Warm Cotton since it’s not that strong and smells fresh. This is more for when I’m going around a country and want to smell pleasant without being a menace to anyone’s nose. A favourite store of mine for imported perfumes would be Body Rockers.
- Lip Color – Be it in tube form or matte lip or gloss, whichever you feel is trusty and perfect for traveling. I opted to try out Vice x Bang’s Saveeeh simply because I liked how muted yet flattering the shade is. I also wore this frequently to check its lasting power for a little vlog project I’m trying out.
That said, my travel essential tips are quite simple and easy to replicate. Of course, this is applicable to my needs so feel free to add and subtract depending on where you’re going and what you’d need.