Denim Vest: Greenhills Bazaar | Silver Cuff: Ruckus Accessories | Silver Necklace and Aztec Print Top: Forever 21 | Orange Bandage Skirt: H&M | Silver Flats: Tory Burch | Motorcycle Bag: Balenciaga | Ring: Gold Dot
So I know I said in my past posts that I’ve been rearing towards a more sophisticated, elegant, and classy sense of fashion (here and here), but believe it or not, there are actually days where I just want to dress down in comfortable flats and indulge myself with casual denim.
I’m not really a big fan of denim, mind you, but I make exceptions once in a while.
Thankfully, I’m still at an age where it’s always praised upon to dress exquisitely, but at the same time, still appropriate and welcome to dress playful and young. I think it’s ultimately, all a matter of finding the right occasion.
Yesterday for example, called for a more youthful ensemble. It was a Sunday before a holiday and I figured I didn’t want to prance around the mall in platform heels. So my boyfriend and I had a weird idea to go out together dressed in hipster garb, just for shits and giggles. Taking inspiration from him (he owns a hundred aztec-print sandos by the way), I paired up an aztec-print top with my favorite (and overused) denim vest.
This goofy hipster heart goes out to my boyfriend.
Also, please forgive the wayward, unkempt hair! It was windy outside when I decided to have my photo taken. It’s a good thing the weather’s been cooperative lately though.
Don’t fret, I’m not going to come up with a long post riddled with life lessons and nuggets of wisdom. We’ve had enough of that in the past few posts, right? Instead, I’m going to indulge a curious reader who sent an email inquiring about the type of music I listen to (and if I actually like music apart from the ones playing on the radio).
It might not look it but I’m a huge music fan. Okay, so maybe not the type to pore over Taylor Swift and Chris Brown (and I do like my occasional pop and R&B), but well, let’s just say that I’ve a hundred gigs worth of memory filled to the brink with various music albums dating back from the Woodstock sixties to the present, plus, I’ve a Joshua Tree album by U2, autographed by lead vocalist Bono, himself.
Forgive me for being obnoxious about music but I just want to clarify misconceptions. I mean, I don’t discriminate, okay? Music to me, is just like fashion, you have to appreciate and accept the fact that each artist rolls with their own unique style and variation–so yes, as a matter of fact, I do LOVE Britney Spears just as much as I love AC/DC.
Here are more tidbits about me in regards to my taste in music:
- Given a chance, I would head out to Coachella or Glastonbury for their annual music festivals.
- Unfortunately, I’m not a big fan of the local music scene but I do think that there’s great potential and output.
- My favorite song since I was 12, is Iris by Goo Goo dolls–I think it shall be the tune to my wedding march (a close second would be: Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve).
- I can play the drums (and I tried learning how to play the guitar too but I’m an ultimate failure at it).
- My favorite band of all time is U2, and my favorite song from them is Electrical Storm.
- My other favorite band would be Third Eye Blind, and although I really love their Semi-charmed Life, my favorite from the band would be a tie between Wounded and Blinded.
- My favorite male artist is Freddie Mercury of Queen.
- The song of my whole college life is Baba O’ Riley (Teenage Wasteland) by The Who.
- The first CD my dad bought me is that of the Spice Girls, when I was 6. I was a big fan of Mel C, the sporty spice (so much so that I actually did buy her solo album).
- Best lyrics thus far is Queen’s Don’t Stop Me Now.
- Consequently, the first casette tape I listened to is that of Hall & Oats, because my dad is such a huge fan.
- My favorite female artist would have to be Marina from Marina & the Diamonds.
- Right now, I’m more into Electronica and Indie.
Here’s a copy of my “driving” playlist, for when I’m alone and headed out to a far-flung area (ie: Makati), I listen and belt out tunes:
- As if By Magic – La Roux
- Brand New Colony – The Postal Service
- Drunk – Ed Sheeran
- Everybody Talks – Neon Trees
- Girlfriend – Phoenix
- Good Time – Owl City ft. Carly Rae Jepsen
- Love – Foster the People
- Love Lost – Temper Trap
- Nothing Like You and I – The Perishers
- Cue the Pulse to Begin – Burnside Project
- One More Night – Maroon 5
- Oxford Comma – Vampire Weekend
- Polish Girl – Neon Indian
- Drumming Sound – Florence + The Machine
- Some Nights – Fun
- Sunday Morning – Maroon 5
- Such Great Heights – The Postal Service
- Undisclosed Desires – Muse
- Walking on A Dream – Empire of the Sun
- We are Young – 3OH!3
- Under the Sheets – Ellie Goulding
- What I’m Trying to Say – Stars
- Back to the Start – Lily Allen
- Young Folks – Peter Bjorn, & John
- 5 Years Time – Noah & The Whale
So that’s enough music trivia for the day, I hope you enjoy my playlist (click on the links to direct you straight to youtube).
On the upside, if I were to attend a music fest, I would definitely wear this outfit. For further appreciation, here are a few more photos from my rather Hipster Sundate: