Leafing through the past few issues of Vivi magazine and I am assaulted by the sight of adorable Japanese models prancing around in straw boater’s hats. I keep thinking how amazing it is Asians in general, assimilate Western pieces and somehow, make it a part of their trends. A year ago, I bought my poupee doll a boater’s hat and I recall telling myself, “God, where can I get myself one of these?”
This beautiful piece of accessory–reminiscent of Boaters and their gondolas in Venice–makes me feel so European. Technically, I am partially European, but of course, that’s entirely a different thing. So two months ago, a friend of mine chanced upon it at a local store–and the right color at that! It reminded me so much of what this random old man in the movie: “To Sir With Love” was wearing.
For this shoot, I decided to utilize my hat but not necessarily make it the focal point. I put on a pair of brogued maryjanes to pair it with–another trend emerging (or perhaps, has long emerged) but this time, from the Western scene. You know, just to see if it could possibly work.
So we went around the UP Campus, trying to find the perfect lighting. Since it was late in the afternoon already, not to mention, post-drizzle, light wasn’t an abundant source. This is how I look like on a normal day–sans makeup (save for my trusty Amazing Concealer). This is also, how I normally dress.
Boater’s Hat: Genevieve Gozum | Maryjane Brogues: Pill | Denim Shirt: Giordano | Brown Belt: Hong Kong | Salmon Floral Skirt: Little Caviar | Gold Necklace with Seaman Head Pendant: Les Roux
Photo by: Reynan Alibuyog and Marie Angelie (who was with her husband and shot in Large Format)
Also, style duo Joanna Ladrido and Nina Estacio, of Glitterati are inviting four readers from my blog to join in the release of their Prive line. For the lucky readers chosen, you will enjoy the following perks:
* Enjoy exclusive passes and guest list privileges (free entrance) at the event.
* Avail of the open bar which will be provided from 9:00 pm until 11:00 pm on the event proper.
* Receive special discount coupons and gift certificates
* Get exclusive access and permission to take photographs at the event for your blog
* Exposure from media partners, Mega magazine and Stylebible.ph as a guest of the party in their coverage of the event. (All photos and promotional features of you taken during the event will be handed over to you by the organizers).
Just holler if you want to give it a go! <3